Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Power of Your Breath!

We do not often consider the power of our breath, but it has a great impact on our mental, physical and spiritual health! Sleep apnea, migraines, body and joint aches, tense & stressed muscles, and many other ailments can be healed or lessened through the breath. I was at the doctor the other day and we were talking about sleep apnea and how it can cause pain as the muscles are not being oxygenated. I went to bed that night and noticed that my arms were tingling and my hands were numb. This had been happening for about three nights. I said to myself lets breath properly while I sleep. Then I did proper breathing exercises (gently breathing from the diaphragm) as I fell asleep. Not only did I stop waking up with my arms tingling and my hands numb, but the pain I was having in my hips and lower back was gone. I began trying the exercise of focusing on how much I breathe and is it proper breathing through out the day. I realized that I do not breathe very much at all, and when I do it is very shallow. This is an everyday and night practice now because I have to train my body to breathe properly. I know this will take time as it takes time for us to create any new habit. But I have noticed I am not as fatigued or in as much pain when I breathe properly and this makes me want to continue to practice something so simple as my breath!

No comments:

Post a Comment