Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blood Type Diet: As Above, So Below

I have been working with herbs and my diet to get my fibromyalgia under control so that I can have more quality of life. On this journey I have also incorporated the spiritual practices of meditation and breathing. This has helped significantly over the years. In addition I get massage 2 times a month for 1 hour sessions. While all these practices have helped take away a layer of the disability at a time I still am not completely healthy. I have been meditating and praying for other avenues so that I can become healthy. It is no fun being 34 and worrying if you are going to be able to walk tomorrow or if you are eventually going to lose control over your legs.

Life has a funny way of giving you the answers you seek. I became involuntarily vegetarian July 2013 when I was doing deep spiritual work in my heart chakra. It was a struggle between my mind, body and spirit for the last year. I averaged eating meat between 1-3 times a month depending on the month. During the last year I have experienced the most swelling I have ever experienced in the 16 years I have had fibro. I even began to experience brain swelling where I would start the day wearing a hat that was loose on my head and a few hours later would have to take the hat off because it was giving me a headache from being too tight.

When you begin to realize that what you eat is contributing to the flaring of your autoimmune system you begin to experience a depression. There is so much you cannot eat and so little that you can that will not make you sick. I walk through the grocery store looking at everything I cannot have that I use to enjoy. Staying positive helps because you become your own reinforcement. Yet is a struggle all the same. It is even more difficult when you are out and cannot get to the foods your body needs. Nothing at a fast food place is healthy for you, besides the salad, and I am not a salad person all of the time.

In the middle of my ups and downs I was talking with a good friend about how the autoimmune disease works. She started telling me about the Blood Type Diet. In her explanation many things that I had recently learned about the autoimmune system made sense. I am type O +. This means that I need to eat more meats and veggies, but I cannot have cabbage, or beans, or potatoes. The list goes on, but as I read this I realized that most of the things I had been substituting for meat were what was said to cause inflammation for people with my blood type. Mixed with what I had already learned about the autoimmune system I was intrigued. Life had given me an answer, but being vegetarian it was not the answer I was looking for.  

I sat with this for a few days, going over in my mind's memory the time I had decided not to eat any breads or pastas or anything that was not meat and vegetables. It was the only time in 16 years that I had started to lose weight and my body was feeling good. I had not continued it because I missed watching people around me enjoy all the french fries, pizza and ice cream. While I did not eat this stuff on a regular basis I still wanted the freedom to eat what I liked. Now that freedom comes with a price.

I decided to start the blood type diet based on each meal and record how my body reacted just after eating it. I would eat my vegetarian meal for one meal and then eat a meat based meal for another meal. In another meal I ate my french fries. I noticed the difference in how my body processed each meal. After noticing that the meat and specific veggies were processed much better for my body I decided to give the Blood Type Diet a try.

I tried to find ways to do this as a vegetarian, but it will not be possible. Some meals I eat and I am unable to think about the other life I am consuming, while others haunt me as I eat them or as they settle into my body. Practicing spirituality for so many years I can feel my spirit and the spirit of the animal become one. As such I have turned to the knowledge from the Native Americans and the Pagan cultures in which an animal was prayed over and given many blessings for its sacrifice so that I can live. I take my time to bond with the energy of the animal and the plants that become one with my body and spirit. I charge each meal with Reiki & Ife energy, giving life to the life that has given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment