Thursday, June 5, 2014

Fruit Croissant

When learning to eat healthy we all need a naughty food to fill our appetites. Some people are very disciplined and can survive without it, but for the rest of us we find ourselves sneaking back to the unhealthy foods that make us feel security such as ice cream, snickers, and cake. I have been working on finding foods that are unhealthy, yet not so unhealthy at the same time. One of my favorite unhealthy but not so unhealthy snacks is the fruit croissant. I enjoy cooking my own unhealthy foods because I can control how much salt and sugar go into them. For this recipe I start with a bit of fruit. I used fresh apple and strawberries then dried blueberries and cherries. I put them in 1/2 a tsp of coconut oil and sauteed them until the apples were tender. Then I added 1/8 of a tsp of organic raw sugar (had to use the pinch method) and allowed them to caramelize just a little. Next I placed the fruit in a croissant that had been cut in half. Once the fruit is on the bottom half of the croissant I place the top of the croissant back on top. Then place the croissant in the microwave for 1-1 1/2 minutes depending on your wattage. We have a 700 watt microwave in Korea so it takes our food a little longer to cook. Wait for the microwave to beep and then serve hot and fresh! You can pair with more fruit. Today I added a banana to my plate and am enjoying a home made green smoothie made from fresh fruit juice I made with my juicer!


No comments:

Post a Comment